FVSD School Fees to be reduced next year
School fees are going down for parents of Fort Vermilion School Division students next school year.
The decision was made during the Board’s regular meeting on Jan. 13, and in light of sweeping reallocations of Education funds by the Provincial government. Those changes have seen school divisions across the province increase their fees.
It was felt those fee increases would be unfair to parents whose children attend FVSD schools.
“The Board is living within its means and will not be using the pockets of parents to increase funds in the school division,” said Superintendent Mike McMann. “In September of 2020, there will be absolutely no instructional fees – including CTS – which parents will have to pay. So that will be a reduction in costs to parents.”
Additionally, there are a number of fees for extracurricular activities not funded by the Provincial government, and those fees will remain unchanged for the 2020-2021 year.
“There will be no increases to extracurricular fees next year,” said McMann. “They will have to remain because they are fees we aren’t given money to budget for.”
Extracurricular Fees per Sport/Clubs
Extracurricular fees for sports and clubs will be:
- High School Sports Team - $125.00 (Maximum)
- Junior High Sports Team - $100.00 (Maximum)
- All Other Sports - $30.00 (Maximum)
- Zone Fee for Individual Sports - $50.00 (Maximum)
- Provincial Fee for Individual Sports - $50.00 (Maximum)
- Overnight Tournament Fee (per tournament) - $100.00 (Maximum)
- Clubs - $100.00 (Maximum)
- Hotel Rooms (Cost Recovery, out of division travel only)
- Ski Trips - $400.00 (Maximum)
Activity Fees will remain unchanged in 2020-2021.
- Adventure Academy - $180.00
- Out of Province Trips Defined by Third-Party Fee (Cost Recovery)
- Field Trips - $125.00 (Maximum)
- Graduation - $300.00 (Maximum)
Transportation is available to students within the 2.4 kilometers walk limit and residing in the urban area of some communities. These fees will be unchanged for the 2020-2021 school year. There is no transportation charge for students who live outside the 2.4-kilometre walking limit.
“We will not be increasing transportation fees for students inside the 2.4-kilometre boundary, and we are not ever going to charge fees for students who are outside the 2.4-kilometre boundary, with the exception of the optional rural yard service fee,” said McMann. “We’ll live within our means, and we will take less money from parents in order to balance our budget to make things work.”
The cost for urban transportation will include the following.
- Students with physical disabilities – no charge
- ECS (1/2 time) - $25.00 per month
- ECS (Full-time) - $40.00 per month
- Grades 1-6 - $40.00 per month
- Grades 7-12 - $50.00 per month
- Family Rate Maximum - $100.00 per month
FVSD Board of Trustees recognizes the climate in Alberta is one of fiscal restraint, and believes it is important to continue to seek efficiencies during this time.
“The FVSD Board is working to ensure that there are no financial burdens for parents when their children come to our schools,” McMann said.