What is a Literacy Coach?
A Literacy Coach is a literacy leader who works collaboratively with teachers, administrators and staff to improve student achievement in literacy. The Literacy Coach provides school-based, job-embedded support for teachers as they implement effective literacy instructional practices.
Why Literacy Coaching?
Literacy Coaching will be implemented in the Fort Vermilion School Division in order to support the division’s priority of literacy.
- Literacy Coaches will provide support to grade 1-9 teachers in the implementation of best practices in literacy instruction.
- Literacy Coaching positions were introduced as part of the division’s plan to change the model of Balanced Literacy Training that the division has been using for twelve years. This year we will have Principals identify Literacy Coaches in each school. FTE will depend upon the school size.
Coaching has been identified within the research on effective professional development as the most effective method of supporting the application of new learning about effective instructional practice within a teacher’s instructional practice.
What do Literacy Coaches do?
- Literacy Coaches support classroom teachers in the implementation of the provincial curriculum.
- Literacy Coaches support classroom teachers in making connections between educational research, theory and classroom practice.
- Literacy Coaches support classroom teachers in implementation of the research - based effective instructional practices.
- Literacy Coaches plan cooperatively with teachers and support collaborative interaction between and among teachers and administrators.
- Literacy Coaches demonstrate and observe lessons and engage in pre and post conferences which are intended to provide support for in depth lesson analysis and reflection.
- Literacy Coaches promote the effective use of authorized program materials, school and classroom resources, and professional resources.
- Literacy Coaches advise and support schools in the implementation of 1) school development literacy goals and 2) programs which support parental engagement in support of literacy.
- Literacy Coaches support school teams in the collection and analysis of student literacy achievement data.
- Literacy Coaches engage in on-going professional development, reflection and practice.
- Literacy Coaches will team teach in classroom situations, (Workshop Structure)