Northern Student Teacher Bursary (Alberta Gov't & NADC)
The Northern Student Teacher Bursary is a return service bursary that brings teachers to rural and remote northern Alberta locations. Paying $8000 per year for up to two years, the bursary is available to students in their last or second to last year of a Bachelor of Education degree. The bursary awards $8,000 to students in the final year of their program and a total of $16,000 to students in the second to last and final year of their program. It is meant to encourage students to plan to teach in participating northern school divisions upon completion of their degree.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: January 6, 2023
To be eligible to apply you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program at a designated institution (residents of Alberta will be given preference),
- Be in the last or second to last year of a program leading to a Bachelor of Education or entering your first or second year of a Bachelor of Education After Degree, and
- Completing a program with a specialization in demand within northern Alberta.
NOTE: Students who receive a bursary agree to live and work as a teacher in one of the participating school divisions following completion of their program.
- Only ONLINE applications will be accepted.
Application Link: Bursary Online Applications
- A verified My Alberta Digital ID is required to be able to submit your application.
Find more information about eligibility and the application procedure on the NADC website: Northern Student Teacher Bursary
Click here to view/download the FAQ poster:
Teacher Training Grant
The Fort Vermilion School Division Teacher Training Grant was established to encourage high school graduates of the FVSD to pursue teacher training and return to our jurisdiction.
- Candidates for grants must have completed their high school education under the supervision of Fort Vermilion School Division.
- Candidates become eligible for grants only when hired in their first year of teaching by Fort Vermilion School Division.
- For eligible candidates, grants will be paid:
- half of the grant after successful completion of the probationary year(s); and
- final half upon recommendation for permanent certification.
- Grants will not be paid out if the candidate resigns or is terminated prior to the end of the first and/or second years of the contract.
- The maximum candidates to be approved annually will not normally exceed five.
- The total amount of the grant per candidate will not exceed $3000 per year.
FVSD Bachelor of Education Bursary
The Fort Vermilion School Division has created a Bursary Program to assist individuals in attaining their Bachelor of Education. This bursary is open annually from December 1 to January 15.
This program is for individuals living within the FVSD boundaries entering into a 4-Year BEd program or a 2-Year After-Degree BEd program at an accredited Alberta university.
Application Deadline: January 15
Complete your application online: FVSD BEd Bursary Application