Dual Credit Programs
Earn College Credits while still in High School!
Dual Credit programs provide students in grades 10-12 with the opportunity to take apprenticeship training or begin a post-secondary course while still in high school. Students earn high school and post-secondary credits at the same time and get a jump start on their careers!
FVSD has partnered with several post-secondary institutions including Northern Lakes College and Olds College to offer a variety of Dual Credit courses with more partnerships and courses in development. These partnerships will allow our students to access greater opportunities for post-secondary education and complete programs of study while remaining in their home communities.
Educating our own future nurses, paramedics, health care aides, early childhood educators, social workers and trades people is a high priority for the Division. Students looking to pursue studies at university can also take University Transfer courses through dual programming.
In addition to earning post-secondary course credits and potentially graduating high school with the first year of education in their chosen field complete, students will also have their course tuition and textbook fees paid for by Fort Vermilion School Division.
For more information connect with your high school guidance counselor.
- SAVE MONEY! Fort Vermilion School Division covers the cost of tuition, saving you and your parents thousands of dollars.
- It prepares students for a post-secondary environment and helps ease the transition from high school to college.
- Students complete courses toward a credential before even entering a post-secondary institution, reducing the time required to complete their chosen program.
- It can be a great motivational boost to stay in school, and builds confidence to continue on a post-secondary path after high school.
- Many students’ find their high school grades are positively impacted. Participation in a Dual Credit course highlights, in a very practical way, the need for education to continue pursuing their future career goals.
- It's an opportunity for hands-on experience in an area of interest, but does not interrupt high school programming.
- Time and money invested in education at a post-secondary level can be significant! Earlier exposure to courses can assist students in determining if a specific career is the right choice for them.
Local Cohort* Dual Credit Opportunities:
- Health Care Aid
- Pre-Employment Welder
- Pre-Employment Carpenter
- Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician
*NOTE: Requires minimum number of students to run program in our local area.
FVSD students can enroll in the following courses for the second term:
- Addictions Counselling
- Accounting Principles 2 (Winter 2024)
- Applied Ecology (Winter 2024)
- Business Administration
- Computer Network Specialist
- Early Learning and Child Care
- Educational Assistant Certificate
- Electronics & Control Systems in Precision Agriculture (Winter 2024)
- Global and Sustainable Tourism (Winter 2024)
- Introduction to Surveying
- Managing Landscapes (Winter 2024)
- Office Administration
- Power Engineering 4th Class
- Pre-Employment Electrician
- Pre-Employment Industrial Mechanic
- Practical Nurse
- Primary Care Paramedic
- Social Work
- Training for Performance (Winter 2024)
- University Studies
- Veterinary Practice: The Team Connection (Winter 2024)
*PLEASE NOTE: Some programs will depend on location and availability of virtual delivery. Students must also meet program requirements for their chosen course.
Connect with your high school guidance counselor to discuss options and to ensure you have completed the prerequisites before the program starts. Complete the NLC Dual Credit application package and return it to your counselor for forwarding to the College.
Please note, if you are under 18 years of age, the forms will require a parent or guardian signature.
ELIGIBILITY: All current FVSD high school students and individuals who are under 20 years of age* as of September 1, 2023.
*PLEASE NOTE: Recent graduates MUST enroll with Pathways as an FVSD student BEFORE September 30, 2023 to access fall and winter dual credit programs.
Are you a business owner looking for an intern or work placement student?
FVSD is committed to building relationships with businesses and organizations in our communities. For more information on partnering with us, please visit our Community & Business Partnerships page.