On October 16, 2017 School Board elections will take place across the province of Alberta. School board trustees are local politicians elected by and accountable to the community they serve. The provincial government delegates to the school boards the responsibility for conducting the affairs of the school jurisdiction. The school board has many responsibilities including (but not limited to):
- setting school jurisdiction goals
- planning school jurisdiction priorities
- developing and implementing an annual budget
- advocating on behalf of the school community to decision-makers and stakeholders
- Ensuring regular opportunities for public input and access
Do I have what it takes to be a successful school board trustee?
Am I prepared to put my community and students first?
Successful school board trustees put the needs of students first. They run for office because they passionately believe a quality education is one of the most important things a community can do to ensure students have the knowledge and skills that enable them to be better prepared for life.
Do I need to be an expert in education?
No, you don’t. The school board trustee does not serve as a professional educator or as the spokesperson for a particular interest group or region. The ideal school board includes people from all aspects of life and is as representative as possible of the community it serves.
Am I eligible to run for school board trustee?
There are some basic requirements you must meet:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a Canadian citizen
- be eligible to vote in the election
- have lived in the local jurisdiction and the ward if any, for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day
Interested and eligible individuals are encouraged to consider running in this fall’s election. This year, Monday, September 18, 2017 is nomination day in Alberta. Nomination papers must be returned to the official locations between 10 a.m. and noon. For more information regarding this please contact FVSD Secretary-Treasurer, Norman Buhler, at email@example.com.
Official Nomination return locations:
- Rainbow Lake School
- High Level Public School
- FVSD Central Office
- La Crete Public School
- Zama City School
- Rocky Lane School
- Buffalo Head Prairie School